Following the deaths of Thomas and Charles, the business was carried on by Charles' son, Charles Whiteway Hazlehurst in association with Joseph Hall Salkeld, a nephew of John Hazlehurst, until he relinquished it in 18891 (although a Liverpool Trade Directory of 1890 still describes him as being a soap manufacturer with an address in Mossley Hill, Liverpool). The same directory includes an entry reading 'Hazlehurst & Sons, soap manufacturers', with an address at Chester Wharf, Georges Dock West in Liverpool. In 1890 the business became absorbed with many of the other plants using the Leblanc process into the United Alkali Company2 when it was purchased for £70,0003.
From the 1880s the soap-making industry became increasingly dominated by the firm of Lever Brothers who established their first factory in Warrington adjacent to that of Crosfield's in 18854 . They used aggressive marketing techniques and were the first soap making firm to use widespread advertising, especially for their most successful brand, 'Sunlight'. Following the lead of Lever Brothers, many other firms, including Crosfield's and Gossage's, competed by producing soap in tablet form with added perfumes and colours, wrapped in attractive packaging and being marketed under a variety of exotic trade names. Hazlehurst & Sons joined in this competition and around the end of the 19th century they were producing a considerable range of soaps of different types, including a blue mottled soap, which were given some colourful trade names. The company also made various other products, including candles and Eau de Cologne (see Appendix 1). It was successful in winning many medals and diplomas at exhibitions in a number of places which included London, Paris, Calcutta, Australia and New Zealand5 .
Lever Brothers built a new factory on Land between Bebington and Bromborough in the Wirral in 1889 which was named Port Sunlight, along with a village for the workers with the same name. Although Hazlehurst's had initially been in competition with them, they later produced soap for them for some years before the end of the 19th century6. In 1911 the trade marks and factory were sold to Lever's for £30,0007 . In 1916, at the time of the centenary dinner, the company, then under the wing of Lever Brothers, was being run by a board of directors8 . However on 4th January 1916 the land and property in Runcorn had been sold to Robert Posnett for £10,000 and these were sold on by him for the same amount to the Camden Tanning Company on 27th September 1918. Although the business name of Hazlehurst's continued after 1916, the company no longer had any connection with Runcorn although 'Hazlehurst' still existed as a brand name as late as 19309.