CHAPTER 4 : 1859-1878

5. OTHER CHRISTIAN DENOMINATIONS

During this time more new Anglican parishes were created. On June 30th 1860 Halton became a separate parish; as did Aston on April 30th 1861 and Thelwell on February 5th 18701 .

Rev John Barclay continued to serve with distinction as Vicar of Runcorn, during which time he was appointed as a canon of Chester Cathedral in 1865 and as the Rural Dean of West Frodsham2 .

In 1871 the Primitive Methodists built a chapel in Greenway Road at a cost of 1,6003 to replace the small, inconvenient chapel in Regent Street.

1 Nickson, p.,72.
2Nickson, p. 90.
3Nickson, p. 220.
BackReturn to Hazlehurst Index pageReturn to Main site index