Following the death of the controversial vicar of Runcorn, Rev. Masters, the new vicar was Rev. John Barclay, a man of much academic distinction who was to serve long and honourably as Vicar of Runcorn.
In the 1840s it had been decided that the old parish church of Runcorn was in such a dilapidated condition that it would have to be replaced. It was demolished and a new church built at a cost of £9,000. It was consecrated on January 11th 18491 .
In 1857 a new chancel was added to Holy Trinity church2 .
In 1849 the chapel established by members of the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion was transferred to the Welsh Presbyterians3 .
During this time the Roman Catholics, whose number remained low, opened a chapel and day school in Zion Place, Windmill Street in 18464 .