From the 1841 Census records it would seem that at that time William was living in Camden Cottage which was attached to the family house, Camden House, with his wife, daughter Mary Ann, and one resident servant. By 1851 his father had died and he was living in Camden House, now just with his wife and a servant. In addition to his business interests, like his father he was involved with the running of the town. In 1838 he was an Inspector under the Lighting and Watching Act and from 1852 to 1858 he was chairman of Runcorn Gas Company. Following the Runcorn Improvement Act, passed in 1852, Commissioners were elected and the first meeting of the Board of Commissioners was on November 1st. William was one of the Improvement Commissioners from the time of their inception1 . The duties of the commissioners included paving, draining, lighting, policing and cleaning the town and the provision of facilities such as a library, cemetery and market hall2 .
William died on 2nd August 1859. At the time of his death he was in Churchfield House which was the home of William Wright Brundrit, his son-in-law. His funeral was held at the Parish church on August 6th and his pall bearers were Philip Whiteway, William Wright, J. L. Wright, Thomas Johnson, Francis Salkeld, a Mr Potter and J. H. Chorlton.
John lived in Roche House, High Street, just over the road from Camden House and Charles was living in Waterloo House in Waterloo Road by 18503 . In 1843 Charles married Frances Midgely but she died only 2 years later on 2nd March 1845. In 1851 he was living in Waterloo House with his only child at that time, a daughter who was also named Frances, and two servants. In 1852 Charles married Julia, the daughter of Philip Whiteway, another prominent Runcorn merchant who was for some time a business partner of Dennis Brundrit, son of William Wright Brundrit.
Charles, in addition to his part in running the business, was also involved in civic matters. Together with brother William he was involved in running the Runcorn Gas Company and he was also an Improvement Commissioner from their inception. Charles is described as being a Liberal in politics. He was a trustee of the Runcorn Savings Bank and a director of the Runcorn, Weston and Halton Works Company, the Runcorn Coffee and Cocoa House Company, and also of the Runcorn Gas Company becoming chairman from July 1870 until his death4 . Like many of the Hazlehursts he was a musician and had played in Brunswick chapel before the organ was built.
Some of the Methodist activities of the Hazlehurst family are recorded in the Quarterly Circuit Minutes5 . Its meetings were attended frequently by John, Thomas, Charles and, later, from 1873 by George Steward.